Timeline

1880
Fairymead established
1882
Millaquin mill operating and refinery established
Fairymead's first cane crop harvested, yielding 500 tons of cane for 100,000 gallons of juice
1885
Bingera mill opened
1888
Bundaberg Foundry Engineers Ltd established at Bundaberg in Queensland
1912
Fairymead floated to become a public company
1932
Prolonged drought led to first cane irrigation experiments
1938
Fairymead developed mechanical cane harvesters
1965
Fairymead installed Queensland's first diffuser
1972
Fairymead changed its name to Bundaberg Sugar Company Limited and merged with Gibson & Howes Pty Limited
1975
Millaquin Sugar Company Pty Limited (including the Bundaberg Distillery) joined Bundaberg Sugar
1981
Bundaberg Sugar invested in the Blair Athol Coal joint venture, adding to its West Moreton mining interests
1986
Fifty percent of Bundaberg Distilling Company Pty Limited was sold to Carlton & United Breweries Limited
1987
A food packaging and wholesaling company was purchased and became Bundaberg Sugars Pty Ltd
Mourilyan and Babinda mills became the first Queensland mills to commence continuous crushing
1988
Mourilyan mill at Innisfail and Moreton mill in Nambour were purchased, increasing the company's milling capacity by 50 percent
Bundaberg Sugar's major commercial beef cattle interests were sold
Bundaberg Sugar donated historical Fairymead House to the city of Bundaberg
1989
Babinda mill was purchased
Bundaberg Foundry was purchased
Bundaberg Sugar's share in Blair Athol Coal was sold completing the disposal of the company's coal mining interests
1991
Bundaberg Sugar was acquired by Tate & Lyle PLC
1992
Bundaberg Foundry was awarded major contracts to supply sugar milling equipment in south east Asia
Bundaberg Refinery capacity expanded
New Bundaberg brand sugar products launched
1993
Bundaberg Sugar's mills crushed a record total 5.33 million tonnes of cane
Company cane farms in Babinda and lnnisfail areas expanded
Purchase offer documents mailed to Shareholders of South Johnstone & Tully Mills
Dark & Stormy rum and brewed ginger beer drink launched
1994
A Bundaberg Molasses plant producing liquid feed for animals is established at Oakey
1995
A cane crop of 5.57 million tonnes is crushed at company mills
Bundaberg Foundry again exports the world's largest mills
Bundaberg Rum launches the 10 year old premium product of Bundaberg Black
1996
New safety seal introduced for Bundaberg 2kg White Sugar packets
Bundaberg Sugar to be refined in Saudi Arabia
1997
Company's six mills crush a record 5.97 million tonnes of cane.
1998
New Tableland Mill commenced operation incorporating BHEM's (Bundaberg High Extraction Mill)
Bundaberg Rum launched Bundaberg Premium
Launch of pasture supplement, Prolix, a fully serviced program incorporating product delivery by Agents covering SE Qld & northern NSW
2000
Bundaberg Sugar acquired by Finasucre
Bundaberg Rum sold
Prolix Agency Network is expanded in tonnage to double of the initial business. Coverage is now northern NSW, through SE, West & Central Qld
2001
Bundaberg Sugar purchases South Johnstone Mill assets
Company's eight Mills crush a record cane crop of 6.12 million tonnes
First commercial sale of BHEM to a Queensland mill
A new bulk supplement, Pasture Plus, is released and aimed at the larger scale cattlemen wanting a ready mixed molasses supplement
2002
Announcement of the closure of Moreton Sugar industry
Bundaberg Regional Milling Project underway for 2002 crushing season
Prolix Agency Network is expanded into Central NSW
First BHEM's exported to Mauritius and Pacific region
2003
Bundaberg Foundry acquired Walkers sugar business
Moreton mill closed
2005
Fairymead mill closed
2006
Mourilyan mill closed on 22/08/06
2008
Bundaberg Foundry changed its name to Bundaberg Walkers.
2010
Joint Venture established with Maryborough Sugar to run the South Johnstone, Tableland and Babinda Sugar mills.
2011
South Johnstone, Tableland and Babinda Mills sold.
2009 - 2012
$40 million investment to upgrade Millaquin Mill resulting in increased reliability, efficiency and reduced energy use.